Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers

Full Version: "The Knight of the Swan"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I am writing an exam paper about a Spanish book, "Los bandos de Castilla o El caballero del cisne", written by Ramón López Soler in 1830, and heavily influenced by Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe".

The book's titular character, the "caballero del cisne", the "knight of the swan", seems to be an obvious allusion to the French chansons de geste, but, since López Soler apparently was an avid reader of English books as well, I wonder if said "knight of the swan" could also have been taken from a lesser known English novel, maybe one of the Gothic bluebooks your press is specializing on.

So, my question is, does that expression "knight of the swan" sound anyway familar to you?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yours,

Rafael
Rafael Wrote:So, my question is, does that expression "knight of the swan" sound anyway familar to you?

Yes, mostly in connection with the Parsifal (Percival) myth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_of_the_Swan

Hope that might help.
Smile Thank youvery much!

But apart from that, I was looking for rather rare stuff, though, like Mme de Genlis' "Chevalliers du Cygne", for example. (Which is not even a Gothic novel.)

Stuff like simple name-dropping, or the mention of a Swan Knight/Masked Knight would be very interesting as well.Smile

Anyway, thanks a lot!