Gothic Romance Forum, a Community for Gothic Romance Fiction and Literature Lovers

Full Version: does anyone know name of this gothic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm new to this forum but have loved gothic romances for years. I use to purchase all that I could and at one point even let my friends read them. I remember reading a gothic quite a few years ago and loved it very much. I must of lent it to a friend and never got it back. I'll read most authors and so I can't even remember which author wrote it. All I can remember is that it was about a girl who was visiting and went to some type of moon festival. She met a man who married her and took her to a cottage. When she awoke the next day she was told that she was raped and nothing else. She apparently became pregnant and after the birth she was told the child was born dead. Years later she went as a governess to a royal family. There she saw the man she thought she was married to. To make this shorter, apparently she was a governess to her own child and she really was married. IT ENDED HAPPY.

I would love to find the name and the book if anyone recalls it.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.
Sounds exactly like one by Victoria Holt. I believe it was the Night of the Seventh Moon. There were several similar titles, so it gets confusing, but I know it's not Night of the Hunter's Moon or the Legend of the Seventh Virgin.
I think you should check 'The Handbook to Gothic Literature' by Marie Roberts. Y can also check 'Encyclopedia of Gothic Literature'. I don't remenber the author, but you can google it to find out.
it it "on the night of the seventh moon" by Victoria Holt
Thank you very much. Now at least I know what to look for. It was one of the books I would love to read again. I use to read several books a week but seem to have gotten away from reading. I'm getting back into it again and would very much like to read a few that I really enjoyed over again.