Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Gift Shop by Charlotte Armstrong
I read this as a recommendation from our "Best Gothics" list. Unlike my last book, I loved this one. Yes, I prefer those historical gothics in castles and the like, but if I had to read a modern one, it should be something like this. I think it is more romantic suspense than Gothic, but the life-threatening suspense does make it qualify.

There was very good use of humor in this one, even better than in "The House on the Moat". The wild goose chase in this book was necessary to reach the end (unlike, "Passport to Danger").

Here is the gist of the story: A man comes off the airplane and walks into the airport gift shop, attended by a young woman. After practically falling over some toys in the shop, he asks the woman for the nearest pay phones (yes, this is from the 60s-70s). In the phone booth he calls his friend, Harry (I'm not good at always remembering names of characters but this one stood out because they made a play at Tom, Dick and Harry - and Harry was not his real name) who was entertaining another young woman at the time. He leaves Harry a cryptic message and dies, practically. Harry rushes to the airport to see what happened, with young woman in tow. He gives instructions to the gift shop clerk, who messes up the order. Because of this, he has to take her with him on a whirlwind tour of Europe in search of a message, with the other young woman hot on their trail. Our clerk proves to be a very smart and feisty young woman and they have a delightful adventure, or misadventure as it turns out.

I won't spoil the ending. I'd give this one an "A".
Thanks! I purchased that novel earlier this summer. Smile I'll look forward to reading it.
(09-16-2008, 03:14 PM)Bellatrix Wrote: Thanks! I purchased that novel earlier this summer. Smile I'll look forward to reading it.

A great book by Charlotte Armstrong is "Mischief". This couple needs a babysitter for a few hours while they go out. They hire a sister of an acquintance..they know nothing about this young lady. After that a lot of scary stuff happens. Its worth finding....its old however, from the 1950's.