Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A pleasant weekend experience
I stopped in at my library on Saturday morning, and immediately noticed five large cardboard cartons of paperback books with (get this) For Sale 25 cents. At first, it looked like the boxes contained just alot of those fat, modern romance books with the covers that make me wince, and which I do not like. But as I started to rummage through them I began to turn up sixties and seventies gothics. I only found six that I thought might interest me. (There were some titles that I already had, and some authors I do not read.
But I was seized with a desire to buy them all for the people on this forum. I quickly realized that this was impossible, but it's the thought that counts--right? The cover art of many of them would have made some of you weep with joy!
If you haven't already, check with your library about book sales. You can find some good stuff.
Libraries are great places! I go all the time! But this morning on "Good Morning America" they were chatting about (this is awful) that bed-bugs are making a comeback and libraries were one of the places they can be found!! This is awful because once they are in your house they are hard to get rid of and they are nasty. So everyone look carefully at their books!!!!!!
That's scary!Sad
My local library is a very charming little storybook cottage of weathered brick and half-timbering, a much-beloved place in the neighborhood. But what you get in quaintness and atmosphere you give up in range and selection: the inventory consists of only around 50,000 titles. So very few Gothics apart from a few Holts, Stewarts, Du Mauriers and Whitneys in hardback. They have a pretty good mystery section, though.

I'll have to look out for the sales you mention. I keep hearing about people finding boxes of Gothics at library sales or giveaways, but I never come across them myself. I have a feeling my branch, with so little space, pruned its Gothic paperbacks a long time ago. Those 150 copies of Harry Potter take up a lot of shelf space . . .
@AliceChell - Drool!

Our library has a HUGE book sale every June, 6 days long, tons of books, but this year I only turned up one vintage gothic, a second copy of The Shivering Sands, now I can read one without worrying that it will fall apart. (PS, our library sale mostly comes from patron donations)
Right, Mr. Devereaux, (By the way, I didn't mean to stir up envy!) the library sales that I'm talking about are a combination of patron donations and discarded library books. If the only books to be found were the latter, Penfeather, there wouldn't be much to choose from.
(08-17-2010, 09:59 PM)AliceChell Wrote: Right, Mr. Devereaux, (By the way, I didn't mean to stir up envy!) the library sales that I'm talking about are a combination of patron donations and discarded library books. If the only books to be found were the latter, Penfeather, there wouldn't be much to choose from.

I checked out my library's website. They do have ongoing book sales from donations, but they only accept fiction titles three to four years old (!!!) and preferably "best-sellers". Everything else, they insist, doesn't sell. Oh well. There's no accounting for taste.
My condolences.Sad Well, let's be thankful that there are other ways to find these books.
I just discovered yet another source of 60's 70's goth romance! Thrift stores. I happened to see a poster displayed on their window that said Thursdays 25% off on all books. It wasn't Thursday but I just had to see what kind of books they would have. They had shelves and shelves of romance books and most of them old. I waded thru them all (over an hour) and found 50 old goth romance paperbacks with great artwork. They were 50 cents a piece so I just bought them all! I asked them where they get their books and they said they get them from mostly estate sales where people think these books are just trash. I'm all set for a few years now but I just wanted everyone to be aware of yet another source.