Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Escapism and recession
Reading fiction is a form of escapism. We all like to imagine ourselves away from our current troubles and relate to the hero or heroines of our favorite books. I heard recently that despite the recession, book buying remained fairly steady, with an increase in sales of fiction over the holidays. I wonder if more people are starting to escape into the fictional world of books. Will this bode well for Gothic authors in the future? I certainly hope so.
paigenumber Wrote:Reading fiction is a form of escapism. We all like to imagine ourselves away from our current troubles and relate to the hero or heroines of our favorite books.

Me too! Tongue
Yes, because the life of someone nowadays is filled with so called "important stuff" and everyone is so hasty. This burns people out, so that's why literature (and mostly supernatural/ fantasy) are so popular. These kind of fiction books are since centuries the way of escaping the harsh life and falling into a dream world.
(06-06-2009, 04:48 PM)zerademark Wrote: Yes, because the life of someone nowadays is filled with so called "important stuff" ...

Definitely!